Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Musically Inclined

Musically inclined are those people who have the talent for music. Musically inclined are those gifted children constantly asked by their parents to sing on every occasion, whether they like it or not. I myself had piano lessons every Saturday morning. The teacher said I was a fast learner. I can easily memorize the pieces. I can master a piece fast and play it without mistake. And my teacher would honestly look convinced.

But every week, I did all I can to avoid these lessons. My most common strategy was to pretend asleep until after he leaves our house. If my parents did not know any better, they would think I’m dead.

The problem is, it was mechnical for me. I can play the pieces because I can memorize which keys to press and which notes would come after. I was so unlike my cousins who are “widows.” I admire them so much. Marunong silang kumapa. I can only play what I was taught. The last piece I was able to play was Fur Elise, composed by Ludwig van Beethoven. Now, I can barely play Old MacDonald.

However, I have always liked music. I know a lot of songs, and singers, and bands. If I had those iphone accessories, I’d probably have more than a thousand songs. I love singing, and this without hesitation nor reservation. But I want to really learn to play a musical instrument.

Several taught me to play the guitar, and those several lost their patience. I have been planning (for years already) to have actual drum lessons. I hope we can find the time. More importantly, I hope I can really learn…so I can be one of those musically inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment