Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Familiar Stranger

Almost every night, I buy my dinner at this 24-hour convenience store that sells almost anything (even the best fat burners for women). I was happy when they started offering those on-the-go rice meals, since looking for a place to eat or buy food had always been a problem at night, especially when the carinderias are already closed.After some time, I have come to recognize the faces of the store crews, and they had come to know mine. Since the cashier noticed that I was a regular customer, we started exchanging small talks every time I come to their little store. Even the guard gives me a friendly nod every time and even allows me to read the newspapers they are selling! Actually, I really didn’t have to say what my order is. I just have to nod when they ask, “same maam?” I guess all of us have those familiar strangers whom we do not know the name of (or we find out just later on), but we interact with them with that friendly familiarity. They aren’t total stangers, but not exactly friends. There’s really not much interaction with them, just the small chitchats, and yet you feel at ease with them. There’s a bit of sadness when I find out just tonight that yesterday was their last days at the store. I’d probably never meet them again. They had become part of my daily routine, though only for just 5 minutes in a day. Well, I wish them luck for they had been warm to me during our encounters today. I’m sure, in the course of our lives, there will always be those familiar strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment